Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Review: The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler


The Future of Us(The Blurb)

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.

By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present.

Okay so two things.
Firstly I would like to say: GUSH!!
Secondly, I am a product of the 90's so when I heard about this book and that it was set in 1996 I figured  I would have ZERO trouble connecting with the story. So very glad that was true. I thoroughly enjoyed The Future of Us. The idea that these two characters could connect to the Internet (dial-up GRRR!) and automatically be logged onto their Facebook page nearly twenty years into the future is such a clever and intriguing idea (especially in today's society where media and technology practically rule). I definitely have to give a round of applause to the authors for their truly original and unique (BRILLIANT!) idea! Now to the characters!
I really liked/loved the protags and their sidekicks. I will say that I think me liked Josh just a smidgen more than Emma. She makes some kind of, if not questionable than at least, selfish choices, but that being said I completely understand her plight.
I mean having access to their futures like that and knowing that any major decision made could somehow shift you entire future leading them to happiness and even sometimes unhappiness, is a lot to take on. The book just begs to asks the question, just like the main characters do, if you could see how your life turns out while your still young, a teenager, would you stay on this path even if it means unhappiness? Would you try to change it even if it affects the people surrounding you? And if you did try to change it should you?
Wow! I just love this story and concept and I definitely recommend this book to readers of young and old (gosh I hate using old how about delicately aged??).

                                                                        My Rating:
                                                           

This book was published October 16, 2012 by Razorbill
The Future of Us @ Amazon.com






No comments:

Post a Comment